Wednesday 23 March 2011

Finnish ladies

I was inspired to create this line up after looking through a collection of Domus magazines from the early 1950s. I came across a pic of a collection of ceramic wall figures by the Finnish ceramic artist and designer Birger Kaipiainen, and I thought the figures' expressions and proportions were so interesting, I had to have a bash at my own set.

My ladies are very different in their overall style, one of the main differences being that Kaipiainen's figures look melancholy, and mine look a little bit cheeky. That wasn't my intention as I was drawing them (I was trying to get them to look sombre), they just turned out that way. Their outfits are also far more complicated than I had planned: what started out as simple dress shapes soon morphed into a fully fledged knitwear collection. Anyone fancy knitting them up for me?!

No comments:

Post a Comment