Saturday 15 October 2011

Lucienne and Company teatowels

Earlier this year I created a chorus line of ladies, inspired by the ceramic designs of a Finnish artist called Birger Kaipiainen. They were a big hit on my blog, so I've decided to add a few more figures to the collection and put them on to teatowel, just in time for Christmas. The title 'Lucienne and Company' is in honour of one of my favourite textiles designers, Lucienne Day.

Now that I've started my residency at Edinburgh College of Art, I've been able to start screenprinting again. These girls were my first mini-project. I'd forgotten just how much of a labour of love printing by hand is, and how many variables are involved... Two pulls or three pulls with the squeegee and with how much pressure? Pointed squeegee or one with a rounded edge? Blast the screen between prints or just wash it out? Wellies (to keep my feet dry in the washing bays) or trainers (for the very sore feet )? : ) Every print has turned out slightly differently, which makes each one unique in it's own way. And it makes the process exciting and terrifying by turns!

I'll be putting proper photos on my website in the next week or so and you'll be able to order from there (£12.50 on a lovely linen union teatowel with hanging tab), available in either mussel-shell blue or brick red). However, as I'll be making to order, you can also drop me an email to let me know you're interested...

You can also order a print on fabric suitable for framing if you were so inclined. 

My screen after printing...

My test print (called a strike off) to check if the screen works

A nice sharp test print in black on cotton

One of the finished teatowels (mussel-shell blue) hanging up to dry

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nice posting, I agree This design is really good. You got good collection keep it up. I pass this blog to my friends Regards Catalog Printing

    ReplyDelete